Tuesday, December 14, 2010

In hot pursuit of a decent Need for Speed

I've talked before about the downhill trend of the Need for Speed series.  While there are usually some redeeming qualities about every new game that comes out (graphics being the pinnacle), there is something missing from the entire series... Oh, I know what it is; fun.

Ok, now the Hot Pursuit iterations of the games were not meant to be the most dynamic, in terms of controls, plot, or anything resembling a true racing game.  What they are is Cops vs. Bad guys in an arcade racing throw-down.  Which, I will admit, is pretty awesome (I still wish I had clutch control, however).  The graphics in the most recent release are down-right jaw dropping, and really, watching some idiot hit a spike strip at 190mph still makes me giggle. 

All that said, there is so much of this game that I absolutely cannot stand.  For starters, I started the game, and because it was a rental, I had to sit through a three minute commercial for the next Need for Speed Shift.  What. The. Fuck?  I don't care, and I never will care.  If I want a racing simulator (a good one), I'll buy the next Forza when it comes out (by the way, Forza 3 < Forza 2).  Truly, I almost shut the game off and sent it back right then.

Moving on.  The game then proceeded to talk to me for a good 5 more minutes to tell me about exciting features I will never use, and kept me from, oh, I don't know, actually playing the game?  Stop telling me about this shit and let me play!  If I was really all that interested in those extra features, I'm sure I can figure them out easily enough.

EA Online: still blows.

Not kidding.

And I'm not talking about having to pay in order to use it.  Why?  Because I use Xbox Live Gold.  If I really had a problem with paying to play online, I'd probably never shut up about it.  My issue with EA Online is the same problem I've had with EA Online since Underground 2; good luck finding a decent server connection cause, Lord knows, they can't use the Xbox Live networking backbone like everyone else.

Now, normally I'd have a whole rant in here about the lack of a garage, or open world driving, but, truth be told, that's not what the Hot Pursuit iterations are about.  Neither are the Shift iterations.  My problem with them is the utter lack of some kind of respect for the players out there who don't care about corporate greed and bullshit and simply want to play a game.  I don't want to have to jump through all that crap just to drive an arcade game.  The only times I'm interested in doing that is if there is a learning curve involved.  Even then, a game like Midnight Club: LA managed to pull that off in spades.

What the hell EA?

It's a similar problem I see with a lot of games now.  Where they get so bloated on corporate sponsors and celebrity voice acting, that they've become the videogame equivalent of the summer popcorn flick... only more irritating.

One final note.  Part of me really wants to see another Need For Speed game that is, essentially, Most Wanted 2.  Update the graphics, fiddle with the physics and damage, but give me the same gameplay.  Make it a challenge to get back to your garage or hideout to escape the cops.  Make me work for every upgrade and addition to my car.  Provide an in-depth car customization system (including headlights, you bastards!), and a storyline that lasts longer than 6 hours.  What I really want is Underground 2's customization (with the auto-sculpt feature added), Most Wanted's storyline and overall gameplay, and Shift's physics and damage engine. 

Is that too much to ask?

No comments: